St Laurence’s Church Corringham,
Diocese of Lincoln
The Parish of Corringham encompasses Corringham with several surrounding hamlets. It is a Grade 1 Listed building.
The church school was established in 1867 by Sir Thomas Beckett Bt; on the principles of the Church of England and the school remains an integral part of the Parish and its outreach.
There has been a church here for well over 1,000 years continuing to serve the Community in its Christian witness.
It has a fine Saxon- Norman west tower.In the 1880’s Corringham Church underwent a radical restoration by G. F. Bodley and Thomas Garner and paid for by the local landlord, Miss Mary Beckett of Somerby Park. It is a ‘ mini cathedral’. “Corringham is a beautiful church with a fine ceiling and Victorian rood screen built up from the medieval original. There are few rood screens left in our medieval churches but when one comes across them they are a joy to behold”. It possesses several stained glass windows by Kempe, Wailes & Whall.
A guide book is obtainable in the church or on request from the Churchwardens.
The school is lucky enough to be able to use the church as ‘an extension of our school’. The school holds weekly assemblies in the church to allow parents, friends and the community to join us.
Copies of registers are at the church whereas originals are deposited at The Archives Office, Rumbold St; Lincoln Tele 01522 782040
The church services are advertised on the notice board.
Clergy with spiritual oversight Rev Phillip Wain,The Rectory, Gainsborough Road, Lea Tele 01427 613188
Church wardens & Lay Reader : Mrs Margaret Riding Tele 01427 838551
Key holders Mr and Mrs J Wilson, 4 Church Lane Corringham, Tele 01427 838277